Thursday 21 March 2013

Moths Attack!!!!!!


I am going to tell you a story;

Once upon a time there was a lovely dark grey suit. It had a good life went to the city weekly, toured the countryside monthly and generally enjoy it's self.

Went off to the cleaners regularly and did not have a hard life. Then one day it came out of the closet...... and to its horror it had 2 moth holes.

Yes! 2 moth holes on its shoulder and the poor suit had to be retired to the giant suit closet in the sky...........The End.................

I have a moth problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well my clothes do...... moths have taken a fancy to them and now I need the moths to leave. My sister used to have the same problem. She solved her with moth balls and other chemicals. Now what should I use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love the smell of moth balls, weird I know but I do. Unfortunately not everyone in my house does, well to be honest no one does.

So off I went to look in my 1001 natural remedies book to found out what I could do to get rid of them. As they are in the bedroom and I don't want too many chemicals in the room.

I decided to make Lavender Hearts. There were lots of herbs I could use, thyme, mint, rosemary, eucalyptus and lavender. But I decided on lavender as I have a lot drying in the airing cupboard.

In my garden I have a lot of lavender plants, as a bee keeper I grow lots of flowering plants for the bees. I have one very large lavender bush that I keep a check daily during the spring and summer months. It attracts hundred's of honey bees and this bush works as a weather indicator. I know when it is going to be hot and sunny for a few days, the bees are more relaxed and collect the honey leisurely  and I know when the weather is going to turn, as the bees turn up early in their hundred's and work like there is no tomorrow.

And I do love the smell of lavender. Also it is meant to help you sleep so its a win, win. Moths leave; I sleep!

So Lavender Hearts, I decided that I would use some of my scraps and sew them together to make a patchwork piece of fabric and then cut my hearts out. This way I get to use up some of my odd bits and make pretty patchwork heart also.

Once I joined the fabric and cut the hearts out, I placed them right sides together and stitched all the way round leaving any opening to turn right side out and fill with lavender.




Then I stitched the opening up using a slip stitch added ribbon for hanging and now they are ready to fight the war against the moths.



Rest in peace little grey suit......................................

I shall let you know if they work; hopefully I should see the moths leaving but they may stay a bit longer as the weather man has just told us we may be getting more snow at the weekend!!!!! I thought spring was coming! I guess that's what you get for wishing it was spring. Oh well should not complain it could be raining like last year.........................

Thanks for stopping by ...... hopefully this helps you if your fighting a war against moths too............

See you soon and keep sewing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment