Tuesday 27 November 2012

Hexagon Christmas Wreaths

There are lots of books about Hexagons...... The quilting world has gone made for them. I did a quick search on Google for Hexagons for quilting and I had 1,970,000 hits in seconds. Then I did a search for Christmas Hexagons and had 4,740,000 hits. I am telling you the world is in love with Hexagons.

So am I.

They are so easy to work with...... I just love them. I first started using hexagons to make a pin cushion, now I have used them for my next Christmas project.

My Hexagon Christmas Wreaths.
 
 
  1. The first one I made was the smallest, this was made by using a 4 cm hexagon template,
  2.  Freezer paper or scrap paper,
  3. Two different pieces of material,
  4. Matching threads.
  5. Small amount of ribbon and a Christmas button. 
 
 Small Wreath
 
 
Then I drew around my template onto the paper 12 times. Then after cutting out my paper templates I ironed 6 on to one colour and 6 on to the other. If you don't have Freezer paper, pin your paper template on to your material.
Then leaving a small seam allowance cut the templates out and tack the material to the paper.
 
Next sew two hexagons together making sure they are the same colour, wrongsides together and LEAVE all the papers in, this helps to keep its shape. You will need an invisible stitch or ladder stitch.
When you have done this to all your hexagons, lay them out in the shape of a wreath, remove your tacking  and sew them together.
 
Add your ribbon, button and here you have your very own Christmas Hexagon Wreath.

 
 
Larger Wreath
 
 
If you want to make a larger wreath, as I have; this is also easy  and a little different  to make; as I cheated a bit............
 
  1. The template I used for these was a 7 cm hexagon,
  2. Two different fabrics, matching thread,
  3. Toy stuffing,
  4. Ribbon, buttons and small bells.
 
With the fabric I folded it right sides facing each other, then I drew around my hexagon straight on to the fabric.
 
Then sew together leaving a small opening for turning out and filling. When you have finished you should have 3 hexagons waiting to be cut out.
 
Repeat this process with the next piece of fabric.
Cut out all the hexagons leaving a small seam allowance.
 
 
 


Once they are cut out they should look a little like this. Turn the right way, making sure the corners are pointed and fill with toy stuffing and sew up the opening.

Place all pieces into a wreath shape and sew tthe corners together using a bar stitch.
Add ribbon, buttons and bells.
Other finished Christmas Hexagon Wreath.


 Any problems leave a message and I shall do my best to help you out.
Thanks for stoppping by see you soon .........



Freezer paper; Freezer paper or “grease proof paper” in the UK, is paper with a waxy finish on one side. It is generally used to wrap and protect food that will be frozen, but quilters figured out that they could cut patterns out of the paper and lightly iron it to fabric.
I brought mind from cotton patch.

If you don't have freezer paper, any forms of paper can be used.


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment